The Dispatch Issue #4

News - Ready Set Teach Aid Rescues Student

Through the Ready Set Teach program here at Bowie, Cyn'torreya Smith was able to use the skills she learned in class to save a child's life. Smith performed the Heimlich maneuver on a second grader Moxie Maxwell during the class's lunch.

1. Cyn'torreya Smith, Moxie Maxwell, Kelly Langdon, Jamie Maxwell, Kris Higgins. These people were all quoted in this story.

2. The strongest quote in my opinion was "You never know when you could save a life." Given by Cyn'torreya Smith.

3. Yes the lead sentence made me want to keep reading. This is because it introduces teaching which is something i'm really interested in.

4. Yes, the ending quote is a statement that is meant to sick out. It's telling us we never know when a situation will come where you will have to save someone's life.

Commentary - The new generation of youth activism

 The youth of America use social media and modern technology to spread news and exchange information. Using this technology has made more and more teenagers activists as they are able to become more aware of what is happening in the world around them.

1. No one is quoted in this story.

2. One sentence from the article that stuck out to me was "Memes may be a quick fix or a way to cope with crisis, but it is insufficient when creating worldwide change." This stood out to me because it clearly stated the reality of memes made in present day that don't do much.

3. Yes the lead sentence made me want to keep reading because it talks about social media and technology within the youth of today which interests me.

4. The ending statement wraps up the whole article and re-introduces the main idea in the first paragraph.

Entertainment - Little fish are cast for leads in "Big Fish"

Freshman Lainey Killian and Javier Lozano were cast as leads in Bowie's musical production of "Big Fish". This was a uncommon opportunity as many freshman do not usually get casts as leads for most show cases.

1. Lainey Killian, Javier Lozano and Betsy Cornwell were people quoted in this story.

2. In my opinion, the strongest quote from the story was "I just couldn't believe it, it was such a big deal to be so young but still be a lead." Given by Lozano. I liked this quote because it shows Lozano's excitement as he found out he was cast as a role.

3. Yes the lead sentence made me want to keep reading the article because it introduces freshman that I know and it's always more interesting reading about someone you know personally."

4. The ending statement did stick out wrapping up the feeling and tone of the musical.

Sports - Track team trains for a season of competition and victory

 Track and field is a highly competitive sport that takes great strength and power. It can be quite hard and painful but it is all worth it as college approaches Bowie's upperclassmen.

1. Ashley Salas, Coach Torres and Jacy Lim are all people quoted in this story.

2. One quote that stood out to me the most was "You're not only competing against yourself every race but you are also competing trying to be better than your teammates and who you are competing against in the event." Given by Ashley Salas.

3. No, the lead sentence did not pull me in and make me want to read the story that much.

4. The ending statement did stick out highlighting the fact that all the hard work is worth it at the end.

Photo -

1. My favorite picture is the "Flying High" picture on page 12.
1a. This is my favorite photo because it perfectly captures the dancers at the perfect time where they're all in the air.

2. My least favorite picture is "Performing for an audience" picture on page 5.
2a. This is my least favorite because it isn't that interesting and doesn't fit the name. I think it would be cool to get a photo of the audience and be better for the article. Another suggestion I would have is getting a different angle.

3. I don't know if I would be able to do this but I would like to take pictures at the Silver Star's show off. I am on the JV team and was also performing that night so I would be able to get pictures behind the scenes.

4. Overall, I would rate the photography in this article very highly. I really like all these pictures and it was really hard to find a picture that I didn't like.

Non-photographic -

1. My favorite non-photographic was the art done on page 6.
1a. This was my favorite because it looks really nice and fits really nice with the story. It is also a really cool drawing.

2. My least favorite non-photographic was the art done at the top of page 14.
2a. This was my least favorite because you can tell not a lot of work was put into this and it's kind of plain and basic. It's not new or interesting either.

3. A suggestion I have is to be more creative with the art and try not to do something that has been done before. Another suggestion is to add more color.

4. I would rate the non-photographic medially, a lot of the art was really cool and creative but a lot were also overused and boring.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shutter speed, aperture, ISO

Magazines Part II

Feature story brainstorm